Boy, does Prov. 23 have alot going on. It includes, but is not limited to:
- How to eat w/ rich people
- How to eat w/ tightwads
- Moving ancient landmarks
- Mixed wine
I'd rather like to focus on the topic that I oft think about as a Christian and mild entrepeneur: how the crap do Christians think about money?
That deserves an entire book, and indeed many books have been dedicated to it (which often say opposite things).
Rather than going there, let's just look at verses 4-5:
Do not toil to acquire wealth;
be discerning enough to desist.
When your eyes light on it, it is gone,
for suddenly it sprouts wings,
flying like an eagle toward heaven.
(Proverbs 23:4-5 ESV)
Here's my .02 on how to take this: all of us must work for a profit- to provide goods for society and money for our families. Jesus was a carpenter, the book of Luke was written by a rich dude, and it seems that while money is a very dangerous substance, it's not evil in itself.
The question that I always come back to for a heart check is: If all my money "sprouts wings and flies like an eagle towards heaven" (in other words, leaves), will I be ok? Sometimes I think "yep, God would be enough". Other times when I ask that I notice that my attachment to money is too strong and I'm like "Heck no! Don't you dare, God- I've worked hard for that!". Other times, I just don't know.
For now, I don't have millions (or anywhere close to that) in the bank. But I always want to be in a place where I can "desist" from the constant toil for more. I don't think this leaves out working my butt off in my "side hustle of a business" but what I pray God would do is allow me to do even that with the love for him and trust for him, with the aim of making him look good and not money.
Big prayer, but perhaps Jesus could save even me from my sin and folly! Let's help each other to see the specks like this one that can pop into an eye from time to time.
No comments:
Post a Comment