Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Proverbs 13

First, a word on Ash Wednesday.
 My background is pretty liturgical and I have always been part of a church who was very focused on the seasons. Today is the first day of lent.  Lent is, strangely, a highly popular church activity. It seems as if everyone is giving up something, regardless of their motivation or relationship with Christ. I do truly believe in the celebration of Lent and I think, if observed correctly (whatever that means), can bring us closer to Christ. Here is a handy little link if you are interested in pursuing this further. Just some thoughts on this sunny Ash Wednesday.

Now on to Proverbs 13
 The first things that jumped out at me we how often words and speech were commented upon.
"A wise son hears his fathers instruction, but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. From the fruit of his mouth a man eats what is good, but the desire of the treacherous is for violence. Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin. Vs 1-3
     It comes up again and again. Sometimes not so blatantly, Solomon refers to knowledge, , teaching, and taking advice, all of which involves speech.

       Over the past year I have come to realize more and more how much our words can sting. (being engaged makes you so aware of your sin). Think back to your childhood or teen years, some of the most painful wounds we carry are not what people did, but what people said. I once found a note from one classmate to another that said my lips made me look like a fish... To be honest sometimes they do, but at 14 that stings like a slap in the face.

    And words can not just hurt others, but also damage our character. Solomon is big on wisdom and intelligence (surprise!) but how wise men and teachers become known as wise, is the words they choose to use. More often then not i say whatever is on my mind, not giving a second thought to if it is beneficial. In a work place we would like our bosses to think of us as intelligence and capable. But if we participate in unintelligent or hurtful conversation, what is this actually communicating to those around us, or in charge of us? I do desire to have a good reputation, and Solomon seems to confirm that this is a valid and positive desire. Obviously, like any desire, it can get out of hand and become idolatrous. But to be thought well of by those around you is admirable! Especially if we seek to represent Christ. We should strive to speak with wisdom, love, and grace. Yet I find myself speaking carelessly, often causing more damage then I realize.


These are my thought on chapter 13. Now Im going to go to work and try to keep my mouth shut! :) happy Wednesday!

-Melanie

2 comments:

  1. David - I'm guessing you updated the background - this is the best one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder to me to check what comes from my mouth before I let it go out :) I always think of James as the "what comes from my mouth" chapter, but you are so right- in Proverbs it really is all over the place that what comes from our mouth is so important, as are the words we accept and heed from others.

    ReplyDelete