Friday, March 14, 2014

Proverbs 20: The Kitchen Sink

This was one of those chapters where I read it one, two, three, four times... and still don't get the sense of one giant overhead theme, but just got the repeated impression that there are so many thoughts in this chapter, and each phrase is a new topic....so we shall deem this chapter the "kitchen sink" chapter. :)

Kind of bummed I didn't get chapter 19 to blog on, because I love verse 21.  "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."  Even the juxtaposition between these two words-"plans" and "purpose" hit me this time when I was reading that chapter.  Purpose is SO much more all encompassing and holds a different value entirely than a plan, so it was even more applicable to me when I understood that this round.  Even God's plans are different than his purpose....he uses one to accomplish another, but it's almost like the reason for our existence, our very being, is defined by his purpose for us that he has already set out and knows 100% that it will prevail.  That's a pretty cool promise for the believer that His purpose is what is prevailing in our lives, guiding us, coming to fruition, etc, and not anything of our own flesh/mind.  Makes our decision making less stressful :)

Onto chapter 20. This is one of those chapters where I practice the "journal" philosophy of reading the bible, similar to an "arcing" philosophy.  Sometimes I read things and have no idea what I just read, and can't retain anything. So a few years back I started to journal one or two scripture verses from the passage I read to really think about.  By writing them down it helped me remember what I read, and also helped imprint it on my mind for the rest of the day/week.  I definitely had to take that approach here because there were so many little "tidbits" of wisdom.  Or "snippets"...I can't remember which one you used Rynae in your blog post, but I thought that was so cute so I am going to reuse that word.

Vs. 3: "It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel."  I feel like lately I have become too selfish at work and am always thinking "woe is me" and focusing so much on me. I was really convicted of that these past couple weeks. As I looked back I found myself taking up arguments with my boss on a regular basis, sometimes I think just as a direct effect of the mood I was in, and just not embodying what a lot of we have been reading in Proverbs. I tried to put this verse in play today when I didn't get something to my boss quick enough.  Instead of complaining about my workload and where the time was, I just said that "I'm sorry I put you in a compromising spot by getting this to you late. My fault, should have found a way to manage my time better."  You know what- after I felt 10X better than the times in the past week where I made up excuses and complained about my workload and was the debbiest-of-downers.   Anybody can be quick to complain and quick to argue- that doesn't take any brains or talent.  But I think that somebody with Christ in them has to fight that urge, and can fight that urge with Christ's strength, and offer up a more pleasing outflow to God than a complaining, argumentative, selfish display.  I am going to continue to work on this.

Vs. 17: "Food gained by fraud tastes sweet to a man, but he ends up with a mouth full of gravel."  There are 2 interpretations of this verse that biblical scholars just can't seem to come to an agreement on which it means.  1) If you are at a restaurant with your friends and really want a fry but didn't order them, you point over your friend's shoulder and say "whoooooaaa.....is that David Robinson?"  As your friend turns around, you steal a fry.  Within seconds of the fry going into your mouth, it turns to a bunch of rocks.    OR 2) Don't use any impure motives or deceitful actions to get things that you want.  Even if you do get them via your dishonest acts, you didn't do it out of pure and good motives so it's not going to be a good outcome.  I guess I think this is just a good verse to apply generally all over in life- go at things the right way, the pure way, and the honest way, just as Christ would.  Otherwise, you may end up with the tangible car, job title, 700 friends,  etc., BUT there will be no joy there or fulfillment.... just an eventual mouth of gravel. Pretty literal, but that picture gets the job done and point across! No ifs, ands, or buts about it!

Alright, those are my thoughts for the night. Off to bed! Love reading all of your blogs :) Happy pie day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment