Alright, reading Proverbs 12 is basically a continuation of the general truths and pieces of advice from Solomon being the brilliant man he was. They seem pretty straight forward to me. Don't know about you guys but I find myself kind of reading it like a checklist with the verses I can relate to. Whether its, "oh hey, I'm definitely doing that right" or "whoops, maybe not that one but at least I've got this other one under control" (and there's another "oops": not wanting to admit where I've gotten it wrong).
Did a little backtracking because I was thinking about what kind of king Solomon would've been if God hadn't give him all this wisdom, what if he would've asked for something else. Obviously, we can't know the what if's but I wanted to see the history. In 1 Kings 2 where David gives Solomon the throne. He reminds Solomon to walk in the ways of The Lord, to lead in justice but to use discernment and wisdom. David makes it seem that his son is ready to rule. But then it's interesting because in 1 Kings 3 Solomon tells God in his dream that he is young and doesn't know how to carry out his duties. That's when God gives Solomon wisdom , riches and promise. David saw something in Solomon and God gave him whatever he may have been lacking. Obviously, the guy had his own issues throughout the years but in these chapters we're reading Solomon has so much insight. He goes on for several chapters basically saying, this person is wise and this person is foolish; reading Proverbs, I see it in a very practical way.
Hopefully this all makes sense :) those were my thoughts for today.
Micaela
It made sense to me Micaela :) Thanks for writing it.
ReplyDeleteIt's cool to be reminded of Solomon's humility in acknowledging to God that he doesn't know what he's doing, may God always keep up like that, because I'm so afraid of becoming proud and it reminds me of the song lyrics, 'prone to wander Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love,'
I've always find myself reading Proverbs the way you described too. And in that sense it's always seemed very practical to me - especially when I think about how I talk at my job, or interact with annoying co-workers, etc... So yeah! totally get what you were saying!
May God bind all our wandering hearts to Him and bless us all with wisdom that comes from Him.
*up should be me
ReplyDeleteGood post Micaela, God give us some wisdom. He will if we ask like James 1:5 (i think) says!
ReplyDelete