Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Matthew 28

Since no one has hopped on the guest blogger spot yet, I thought I'd throw a quick thought out there. If someone has something they wanted to say, please put it up and I'll take this load of junk down. I just couldn't pass up a chance to inflict my writing on everyone, I guess.

One verse near the end of this chapter struck me:

"And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted."

It's easy to imagine what Jesus's response here could have been: Guys. We went over this, like, half a dozen times. I seem to recall I was pretty clear on this point. It isn't, though; the other Gospel writers show Jesus patiently demonstrating just how not-dead he was to the doubters (and it may be reading way too far between the lines, but given Matthew's use of the passive voice and the indefinite pronoun "some", I think it's semi-likely that Matthew was among the doubters.) To me, this indicates an important truth: God is okay with honest doubts. He is not okay with skeptics who are trying to set logic traps for him (witness the way Jesus treats the Pharisees), but for those who take a little convincing to believe that the guy they just saw die is now alive and standing in front of them, even though he totally called it: well, he'll do the convincing.

1 comment: