Two thoughts: The Garden and the Cross
The Garden
Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.” And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, “So, could you not watch with me one hour?
(Mat. 26:38-40)
"Man of sorrows, what a name for the Son of God who came"
-Philip Bliss
A few years ago, I was sitting in my basement in Pelican Rapids and I just wasn't happy. I was in this weird transition period where there were all these beginnings of new friendships and remnants of friendships from college and before. But in that moment, there wasn't a person on the planet who knew what was really going on in my life- what was good, what was hard, and everything in between.
Have you ever felt alone, or misunderstood? I know I have. This was one of those times. And then I stumbled upon this passage.
We know that Jesus is fully God. In conservative circles (even weird ones like Hope), there's plenty of emphasis on this. What I think we can sometimes forget is that Jesus is also fully man. Did you read that? Jesus was fully man.
Jesus, the man, had lived the last three years with his disciples. In that time they had fished, done ministry, and travelled together. They had joked, partied, laughed and cried. When I see Jesus in the garden, yes I see the Son of God sent to complete his mission. But I also see Jesus, son of Mary and Joseph, friend of Lazarus, Mary, and Martha. I see a child grown up to become a carpenter and later an influential rabbi- and then- the Savior of the World.
When I read about Jesus asking for the cup to pass, I see a human who's looking back over the memories of his life- and not wanting it to end. I see a man looking forward not just to a shameful, painful death- but to the full wrath of his Father poured out for the sin of the world.
And while fear and uncertainty were some of the things stirring in his heart, more than anything, I think of the sheer aloneness he must have felt.
Talk about feeling like no one understands you. Certainly, Jesus had friends, followers, and disciples. But who among his friends and family could understand what it was like to have the weight of the world on his shoulders? Even in this quiet lull before the storm Peter, James, and John are taking a nap. Another disciple is leading a crowd to come find Jesus to kill him. He is the only God-man that ever is and ever was and while he loved those around him- I wonder how isolated he felt, especially in this moment.
But Jesus, because of the joy set before him endured...
The Cross
“He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, ‘I am the Son of God...
And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
(Mat. 27:42-43, 46)
And so Jesus walked the lonely road. He was mocked, beaten, nails were driven through him, and then... worse than anything, God took the wrath stored up from your sins and mine and poured it out on Christ.
So what does it mean?
Because Jesus walked the lonely road it means two things:
1. That he understands
What I mean is that we don't worship a far-off pie-in-the-sky God. We worship someone who's been there. And when we tell him we speak to one who knows far more than we do what it's like to feel on your own.
2. We don't have to
While we will go through times of isolation here on earth, there is a glorious truth that we can bank on. See, the reason that Jesus was robbed of his relationship with God was so that you would never have to. In absorbing the wrath that we deserve for our sin, Christ ensured that no matter what depth of sin or hell we may find ourselves in on this earth, God the Father will not leave our sides. Because I'm an awesome person? No, because a good man died for me.
I'll leave you with the same passage- from a kid's bible.
“They walked up a hill outside the city. Jesus carried the cross on his back. Jesus had never done anything wrong but they were going to kill him the way criminals were killed. They nailed Jesus to the cross. “Father, forgive them” Jesus gasped “They dont understand what they're doing.”
“You say you’ve come to rescue us!” people shouted, “but you cant even rescue yourself!”
But they were wrong. Jesus could have rescued himself. A legion of angels would have flown to his side if he’d called.
“If you were really the son of God, you could just climb down off that cross” they said. And of course they were right. Jesus could have just climbed down. Actually, he could have said a word and made it all stop. Like when he healed that little girl, stilled the storm and fed 5,000 people.
But Jesus stayed on the cross.
You see, they didn't understand. It wasnt the nails that kept Jesus there.
It was love.
-The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally-Lloyd Jones


what a great explication in the children's bible! thanks for including that :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for Brett, God. That was really encouraging to me Brett. Thank you for writing it :)
ReplyDelete