Image source: http://headlikeanorange.tumblr.com/
Most lunches during the week, I eat at my desk. At my job I am fortunate to have a flexible lunch break. Sometimes I eat at 11:30AM — Other days at 1:30PM. I like this because it allows me to stay "in the flow" when I am being productive, and take a break when I am "not in the flow" and being less productive.
During these breaks, I usually eat and then get back to work. At times, I will watch NBA highlights or read stuff on the internet. Today I read The Bible, and more specifically John 4-6. Before I read these passages, I read an article on Fox News' website about the meteorite that landed in Russia last week. My wife, Elisabeth mentioned this occurrence to me one morning, and I was interested to learn more about the story. It turns out that scientists now believe the meteorite was 1,000 times larger than their original estimate of 10 tons. When I read stories such as this, my mind goes to one of two places: I engage and ask questions, or I become overwhelmed and move on with my life. The idea of 10,000ish ton rocks exploding and falling to the sky got me asking some questions. What can we do to prevent this? How many of these boulders are whirling around the universe? Will I be the next victim of an exploding space rock? I continued to read. The article sites that NASA's Near-Earth Object Program currently tracks about 10,000 objects through the heavens. Later, the director of the Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute and a professor of mechanical engineering at Johns Hopkins
goes on to say “If you think about objects the size of the one that came into Russia, you’re probably looking at 100 million up there."
Space is a marvelous. I'll never understand it. I'm fine with that. As I was reading these chapters in John I kept thinking how awesome it is that Jesus, who is before all things, and holds all things together, was so engaged with the people around Him. He was relational. I was struck by how how multidimensional Jesus is. He experienced human experiences such as the feeling of being tired after a long journey, and the taste of water. He pursued conversations with those who it was seen unfit to associate with. He shared His testimony. He rebuked. He performed miracles. He showed endless wisdom. He testified His authority as the Son of God. He led His disciples. He taught. He walked on water. He listened.
I underestimate Jesus every day. What a gift to be able to have a glimpse at His identity in His Word. Jesus is so much more marvelous than I will ever imagine.
Real good.
ReplyDelete