Just recently, I've been running up into the reality that I am almost finished with grad school. This means that there is a distinct possibility that I may make it out of Bethel alive and with a degree... Raise your hand if this astounds you as much as it does me. If you've been with me for any extended period of time over the last two years, you've probably noticed that grad school has not been one of my more brilliant ideas. I have never been more stressed, busy, lost, confused, worried, anxious, irritable, caffeine-dependent or sleep-deprived (shout out to Amber and Jen for still loving me...). I have written over 75 papers (seriously, I just counted), and as far as I know I'm in a common-law marriage with Microsoft Word. In short, it's been a battle.
As I read through Luke 17:11-19, the story about Jesus healing the men with leprosy, I found myself identifying with the lepers (just roll with me here). Here are ten guys who have been captaining the Struggle Bus for a really long time. They are outcasts from society, struggling physically (skin sores, nerve damage, muscle weakness) relationally (separated from all non-lepers), and emotionally (they beg for pity). Jesus sees these men, heals them and then tells them to go show themselves to the priests. I kind of picture these guys as war torn soldiers who have just been told that they've been cleared to go home. They are likely dirty, hungry, thirsty, people-deprived, and generally exhausted. The majority of the men receive Jesus' healing, enter back into the city and never look back. However, we see that one man comes loudly praising God and falls at Jesus' feet to praise and thank him.
Since this grad school journey has been such a struggle for me, I can related with the 9 guys. I'm just so happy at the possibility of being free from what ails me. I want so badly to just walk across the stage at graduation as proof that I made it through the program and to never look back. Like the 9 other guys, I forget to acknowledge how I got this far. In my exhaustion and relief that school is almost over, I neglect to turn around and run back to my savior loudly singing praises to the one who got my out of my mess. The one who noticed me in my misery. The source of my ability walk, run, sing, and graduate. Jesus is the reason. Jesus should get the glory. Jesus should always get the glory. So, I guess my challenge to you is, have you turned around? Have you stopped and noticed how he has brought you through? Have you said thank you? Praise be to our God who is the source of all good things.
Graduation, here I come! :)
A good reminder to me tonight to turn around :)
ReplyDelete