Couple of reflections on Peter...
Luke 22: 31-32: "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
Luke 22: 60-62: "Peter replied, 'Man, I don't know what you're talking about!' Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: 'Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three time.' And he went outside and wept bitterly."
Peter was one of the disciples closest to Jesus. I can imagine that when Jesus told Peter he would disown him, he was probably pretty hurt by the thought. But Jesus knew that the devil would attack Peter. For some reason, I can't remember reading the part that says "The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter". How ashamed must Peter have felt to know not only had he disowned a very close friend, but that Jesus knew it. I hurt for Peter as we read that "he went outside and wept bitterly". Jesus prayed for Peter though, and even though Satan was allowed to have some effect on Peter, Jesus also knew that he would turn back and repent of this, and he would be a great leader in the new church. It shows me that when I feel attacked, hurt, ashamed, and sinful, Jesus is there for me, and Satan cannot keep me from him.
Reflections on the trial...
Sometimes when I read the account of Jesus' trial, I can't help but think that he would have been a free man if it weren't for the crowd. It goes to show the power of a crowd mentality. Only a short time before this, he was healing their sick, raising their dead, driving out demons from them, and baptizing them, and now they all wanted him killed. Pilate and Herod gave a not guilty verdict, but it didn't sway them from wanting someone who committed murder released instead. I read vs. 39-46, where Jesus is in the garden praying for this to be taken away, and being in so much anguish that he sweats blood, and as a nurse, I can't imagine how this could be possible, so this anguish must have been incredible! Then I remember he did this for me, because his love was greater than even this intense anguish. Jesus could have decided not to go to the cross, and "save himself", but imagine the outcome. I could have been part of that crowd shouting "Crucify him!", but he died to save that crowd. Pretty incredible.
No comments:
Post a Comment