So, these few chapters in John are basically about Jesus defending that he is the Christ over and over while the pharisees, some towns people (is that what you would call them??), etc. make accusations against him and claim he is demon possessed, a liar, and a rule breaker. A few brief things I will mention:
1. I wonder what it would have been like for people living in that time who actually were there when Jesus was born. Over and over Jesus states in these chapters that he is from God, and he is there to bring God glory. But how odd- do you think, if you lived and knew that Joseph and Mary were his parents and that they had given birth to him, and then to listen to Christ say he comes from God? One of those concepts that for our human brain (like what Jeremy was talking about in his post) is just so amazing! What God can do, and how he planned....wow. And yet, even though the logistics don't make perfect sense to us and I'm sure some of the people back then, I am amazed at pretty much everywhere Jesus goes- even in the midst of the false accusations and the hatred- there will be a verse that says "still many in the crowds put their faith in him." So cool to see that even in the midst of a situation where seemingly "all odds are against him" people are believing and putting their faith in Christ. Powerful.
2. I was struck at how many times Christ points back to the one who sent him- God. Over and over I felt like in these verses, he basically points to the Father and says- he's the man...this is his plan....I am not operating on my own and for my own fame....and from Him is where you are going to get true life and light. He just lives and breaths and walks giving credit to his Father. His life and his words point to the father. Super cheesy, but made me think of this casting crowns song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx1_7gfCy38. Basically makes me think of "who is my life pointing to?!"
3. Ch.8 about the woman in adultery....basically just slapped me up the head and told me to stop being a judgy pants. How's that for deep theological thought?! But really... I hope I am never the first one to throw a stone bc I am so full of sin and I have no business judging. And what a beautiful picture of Jesus redemption for this woman. 2nd redemption story today on top of the one at church this morning!!
4. Lastly, I loved the verses in ch. 8 when he talks about the difference between being a "slave" (to sin) or a "son" (in the family of God) and uses a family to illustrate. I'm not too artistic- but that picture it painted in my mind was so beautiful. Jesus says "a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever." I want the latter- don't know about you, but even my mind -that can only fathom the love that I have experienced from my earthly family- I want to be a child of God forever. That sounds like just about the best thing ever.
Alrighty, well the start of another week. Woo. I love reading scripture through with you guys :)
Kari, I love the tone of your posts! I can just hear you saying exactly what you write. I especially like when you call yourself a "judgey pants" :)
ReplyDelete