Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Romans 10-12

I picked out three things to talk about. There are so many things in these three chapters that are significant. As you may all know already I am particularly passionate about sharing the gospel. I was not always that way, but Romans 8 and these couple of verses from Romans 10 significantly changed my point of view when I was about 22 years old. 

Chapter 10: 14-15

14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 

I just want to call out that Paul calls those who are carrying the good news around the world as having beautiful feet. I don't think of feet as beautiful, but it is such an interesting picture that he chooses to talk about our feet.  Lecrae has a song on this text that says all I could say. Nothing is more powerful than testimony. I promise there is no greater joy in life than sharing the gospel with those that Jesus has put in your path in this life and praying for them in such as way that we BELIEVE God will change their hearts. 

Beautiful Feet
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFNZyItIhNQ

Chapter 11:33-36


33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
34 “For who has known the mind of the Lord,or who has been his counselor?”
35 “Or who has given a gift to him
that he might be repaid?”

36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

This is a text that can help us greatly with all of the tough theological points Paul has been driving at in Chapters 8-10. God will never be completely understood. His ways are higher than our ways. We cannot judge his judgements because they are just and perfect. It puts us righty in our place before God. May we be bold in carrying out the truth of these texts and have willing hearts to teach these in their fullness even when they are difficult and/or unpopular things to say. 

Chapter 12:1-3

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, 3 but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Lastly, the highlight of all that Paul is saying in the entire book of Romans (at least in my mind). We worship Christ through our willingness to say to God "Send me, I'll go where ever you want me to go"(Lecrae song too). Because of his great mercy we offer our lives in service to him. Additionally, we don't avoid certain things in this world because of legalism or because of what others may think of us (although these are not bad thoughts to begin with). We don't do what the world does because we want to honor God by pursuing holiness and ultimately so that he might reveal his will to us. All of this coming out of reverence and love for Christ! I am so thankful that is it up to God to sustain me and I pray that he will sustain us as we move forward in this life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment