Confession: The book of Hebrews and I do not have a good history. We hated each other. But, we really tried to hang out a lot. Sincerely. We went on coffee dates, we went on retreats, I even read things, trying to understand what was happening with me and Hebrews (and WHO the HECK is this shady Malchizedek character?!), but every single time I was left super confused and really bored (akin to my feelings after a M. Night Shayamalan movie). So, like any good therapist, I decided exposure therapy would be helpful, and I forced myself to listen to Hebrews on CD six or seven times in a row in my car during traffic for a few weeks. And, BAM! It worked (warning: method not recommended when sleep deprived). Personally, I think it was Samuel L. Jackson narrating as the voice of God that really did the trick... Turns out, Hebrews is actually a super important and really, really helpful book. Who knew?!
My chapters are, of course, about that shady Malchizedek guy. When I finally stopped being distracted by how long and intimidating his name is (the poor kid probably hated roll call), I spent some time investigating what he's about and why the writer spends so much time talking about him. It's actually super cool (and not just for theology nerds)! So, I'm going to attempt to give you a quick overview of who this guy is and why we should care (feel free to correct my theology if I'm off here...).
Name: Malchizedek
When: Way, wayyyy back when Abraham was still Abram (CR: Genesis 14)
Occupation: King of Salem (Jerusalem); Priest
Job Description: As a priest, Malchizedek was appointed to represent the people in matters related to God. This means that priests would daily offer gifts and sacrifices to atone for the sins of the people, and also offer gifts and sacrifices to atone for his own sin. As a priest you were the only one allowed to enter the inner sanctuary of the temple where they kept the ark of the covenant and where God's presence was present.
You became a priest by being chosen and appointed by God (meaning no one could just decide or be voted in as Priest), and once you died, a new priest had to be instated.
Why is this important?
Short answer: Jesus is the new, permanent, perfect Great High Priest!!
Longer answer: Hebrews talks about Jesus being the new Great High Priest. This means Jesus was appointed by God to be the new liaison between God and the people. However, he does not offer sacrifices day after day like other priests had to. He offered himself as the ultimate sacrifice as atonement for all of the sins of his people. He is able to do this because he himself did not sin, and therefore does not need to daily offer sacrifices for his own sin. And, Jesus rose from the dead!! So, he is able to forever reign as the Great High Priest as death will not prevent him from continuing in office!! Jesus is forever able to enter the inner sanctuary and forever intercede and plead on our behalf to God. He has given the ultimate sacrifice that is holy and pleasing to God and we now have a permanent, eternal High Priest who will ALWAYS represent us to God!! WHHHAAAATTT?!????? FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
And, fun fact: Jesus is also from the line of Malchizedek, which is super cool because it was predicted in Psalm 110 that the future King of Israel and the priest that would reign forever would come from that line!!
There's more stuff that goes with Malchizedek (Aaron is involved- it gets confusing) and it's all super facinating, but I've found if I talk about it for too long people's eyes glaze over (hopefully that hasn't happened already with this post...). Either, way, get exctied- we have a perfect, eternal, sinless, sacrificing priest who will forever intercede for us! Praise King Jesus!!
Three things:
ReplyDelete1. Dear M. Night Shayamalan: BURN.
2. This was very helpful and interesting, especially to those of us who got to the part about Melchizedek and said to themselves, "Oh, sure, Melchizedek, I remember him" and then hoped that we would not be asked any follow-up questions.
3. The existence of a version of the Bible where Samuel L. Jackson delivers the voice of God fills me with great delight when imagining the recording sessions. "OK, Samuel L., I have to stress again that in most accepted translations of the Bible, God does not drop the F-bomb even once, much less an average of four times per sentence."