- conjugal rights
- pre christ conditions
- bachelor/widow situations
Conjugal Rights
You may think this section is about sex. It's actually about averting temptation. I Cor 7:2-5 can be summarized as,
- because of temptation (verse 2)
- get married (verse 2)
- have sex (verse 3)
- don't be tempted because of your lack of control (verse 5)
In words, Paul is saying choose to go intentionally after the sanctified version of perverted things so you are not tempted by the perverted version.
Pre Christ Conditions
I think it is interesting how Paul argues how the condition of a person (slave // free, circumcision // gentile) matters little. To slave/free, Christ bought you, don't becomes slaves of men. To circumcision, remain with God.
Thinking about getting married (I Cor 7:25-39)
Still on the topic of marriage, and possibly in a context of societal unrest Paul addresses concerns about those planning to getting married but not engaged. In summary, Paul says,
"I say this for your benefit, not lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord. I want you to be free from anxieties." I Cor 7:35-36.
How often do we talk about marriage from the standpoint of freedom and divided devotion to God?
Real good stuff, Weston.
ReplyDelete