Tuesday, April 23, 2013

1 Timothy 4-6: Train for Godliness, Finish the Race

It's always interesting to me in Paul's letters how the very specific will sit right next to the generally applicable. That said, I'm skipping that bit on widows.

I'm struck in the these chapters by the emphasis on seeking godliness.  I particularly like chapter 4, verse 8: Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 

One of my friend's recently went through a very intense training program. Strict diet, two-a-day workouts, a fitness competition at the end. I'm all for working out, eating healthy, and generally taking care of yourself, but while I worked hard to be supportive, it was hard for me to understand the whole point of what she was doing. At the end of her program, we happened to get together for dinner and our conversation broke my heart. She had spent tons of energy and money, sacrificed for months, and in the end her true discontent was still there, beneath the surface, still unrecognized. I want to encourage her, and you, and me, to train for godliness instead of pouring our energy into earthly goals, hobbies, and even relationships. It is so easy to displace our need for God and this goal of righteousness for the things our world tells us are important.

6:11b-12 Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

I read the following verses at my grandpa's funeral last week, and I think it is such a fitting conclusion for the value of what we do here on earth. We are not saved by works, that is true. But what we do here matters, for us, and to those that bear witness to us. May we all long for Christ's appearing, and train ourselves for godliness, for our present life, and for the life to come.

2nd Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment