Saturday, May 11, 2013

Revelation 7-9


A confession: I have always struggled with symbolism in literature. I've never been able to properly appreciate poetry because of it, and although I do appreciate really good writing, and the increasingly desperate attempts of battalions of English teachers and profs did eventually convince me that, for example, the green light at the end of the dock is there for reasons other than "it keeps boats from crashing into the dock at night," I am still rather uncomfortable with anything less literal than, say, an instruction manual. All of which is to say, I am exactly the wrong person to offer any insight into Revelation.

At the same time, although I may not be able to figure what some of the, er, gnarlier symbolism in this passage means, I do love some of the images we're shown here. In particular, the great multitude standing before the throne and before the Lamb from 7:9-12 is wonderful. Some things to note:

- These people are a great multitude that no one could number. This is a fulfillment of God's promise to Abram/Abraham in Genesis 15:5: "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them … so shall your offspring be."

- The people are from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages. Minnesotans and South Dakotans, people who play "duck, duck, goose" and people who use "gray duck" the way God intended, people who can write and people in the corporate world who write things like "Insofar as the aforementioned situational circumstance may continue": all are united in worship.

- "Praise and glory and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and strength/be to our God forever and ever and ever, amen" (verse 12 in the NIV): YOUR MIND IS NOW SINGING THIS.

The way chapter seven closes is remarkably wonderful, and I offer it in lieu of a conclusion (also because I have the following insights on chapters eight and nine: There is a seventh seal, and then seven trumpets, and then things get all metal and crazy):

"Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple, and he who sits on the throne will shelter them with his presence. They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." (ESV)

2 comments: