Sunday, May 5, 2013

1 Peter 2- 1 Peter 5

Well, I will start this out by saying what everyone was posting yesterday on facebook. May the 4th be with you.  I just wanted to say that so I could try and fit in with pop culture and act like I know star wars.

Now, on to 1 Peter. In my chunk of scripture, I had a lot of "quotable" verses that I feel you hear a lot said in response to a variety of situations. I'll focus on one chunk because I think it is such a beautiful and humbling picture.


But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
22 “He committed no sin,
    and no deceit was found in his mouth.”[e]
23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 25 For “you were like sheep going astray,”[f] but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.



1. This passage doesn't say you "might" suffer, and you "might" have to respond to it in a certain way.  Similar to the conversation we had on fasting on Wednesday when Brett was talking about the bible saying "when you fast.." and not "if", it states "To this you were called." Meaning we will suffer, we will have to chose how we respond to it and who we look to in the midst of our suffering. And if we are a follower of Christ, we are called to continue to do good even if we may suffer because of it, and we are called to endure it because our God who created us and loves us more than we could imagine finds this act of enduring and pressing-on commendable in his sight.  


2. Human tendency is to fight back right away, or defend if anyone or anything takes a jab against us. I think this is the most humbling picture ever in these verses- of Christ- who committed ZERO sin, and NO deceit was ever found on his mouth, just took insults and did not retaliate or make any threats back.  But rather, he entrusted himself fully to the Lord.  And why?  So that you and I might live for righteousness being that he has taken the burden of our sin on himself.  And he has healed us.   Selfless love like that is just mind blowing to me. 


In 1 Peter 3, I also can't help but address the part about a women's beauty- being a woman myself. To the women in small group- it is so hard to truly measure your beauty by what it says in this scripture, with everything we see on TV and in magazines and just our culture today. I fight it daily, and I just wanted to encourage the women in small group with these verses because as I read them, I just thought of how much beauty we have in our small group women and how blessed I am to see you guys in your walks with the Lord and just living out everyday life.  (Yeah, that was a cheesy few sentences, but it's true). 


Beauty should not come from outward adornment... Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 


It talks about the guys next in terms of husbands treating your wives, but all I'll say is if you are dating somebody now or whatever girl you date or marry in the future, I think she would rather hear you tell her any day that you like her because of her heart for the Lord and who she is in Christ vs, telling her that she's beautiful.  There's a time for both, sure, but just saying :) 

Okdok, that's it for today!! Love you all. See you Wed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment