Thursday, May 2, 2013

James 1-3

As a whole, I feel like there are many writings in the New Testament that are meant to encourage us in our faith and hope in Jesus.  That being said, I am going to try and keep that in my back pocket during the times when it is difficult to be a Christian in this world, knowing that when it gets difficult, I can come to these writings for encouragement.

When times get difficult, James calls us to persevere.  Persevere so that we may be mature and complete (1:4).  The worst anyone can do is attack our earthly possessions, not our Heavenly promise.  But even still, perseverance is difficult, sometimes greater than us, so what should we do?  James says pray, because God gives generously to those who believe in Him (1:5).  And what if our faith is weak?  We are asked to seek Him, because God rewards those who seek Him earnestly (Hebrews 11:6).  So seek and we will find, ask with a faithful heart, and we shall receive. 

James calls us to boldly persevere when times gets difficult, because faith without works dead (2:17).  James says, don’t just listen to the Word, act on the Word. … I feel like the theme in these chapters is the call to really live the Christian life, because faith without works does not bear fruit – even demons have faith (I find that quote comes up a few times in the NT, and I thinks its super interesting).  James reminds us that times will get tough, but in the tough times, rely on the Lord, because He answers prayers, He provides for those who love Him.

Also, on a quasi new topic, it is encouraging for me to know that the sinful temptations I encounter are not placed by God, but are a result of the evil that resides in me.  The evolution of temptation to spiritual death is described pretty interestingly in 1:13-15 - We are dragged away and tempted by our own evil desire, and once desire has conceived, sin is born, and when sin is fully grown, death is born.  ... But then James continues to state that not only does God NOT tempt us, and ultimately NOT lead us to death, but that every good and perfect gift we have received in our life has been given to us by God. 

Okay, that final paragraph was pretty dark, just to make sure we end on a high note, I will finish with James' quote of Jesus which is part of the essence of Christianity - "Love your neighbor as yourself."  Its sweet to see how many times that pops up in the NT. 

Kk, that's all I got. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Rotz! Good stuff. Really good stuff. So good to be reminded that God will help us find freedom from this body of sin and death. It is not just up to us and our own will and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man Jon, I just really loved your second paragraph. If I could put that up on a poster and slap it above my bed or in my bathroom mirror I would. "When times get difficult, James calls us to persevere. Persevere so that we may be mature and complete (1:4). The worst anyone can do is attack our earthly possessions, not our Heavenly promise. But even still, perseverance is difficult, sometimes greater than us, so what should we do? James says pray, because God gives generously to those who believe in Him (1:5). And what if our faith is weak? We are asked to seek Him, because God rewards those who seek Him earnestly (Hebrews 11:6)."

    ReplyDelete