So, before I get to chapter 5, I wanted to first start by
zooming out, and comment on Proverbs as a whole. As I write, I should clarify, that until this
assignment, I had never actually read the book of Proverbs, and sometimes find
the OT books tough to sink my teeth into.
That said, I can honestly say I’ve been pretty blown away by this
book. It contains well written imagery, it
has creative and clear analogies, and also has a lot of great advice. Thus far, among the first five chapters, a reoccurring
theme that has hit me, and has been a takeaway, is this concept of listening to
the advice of your father.
My son, if you accept
my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and
applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight, and cry
aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for sliver and search for it
as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find
the knowledge of God.
Listen to your Father, because He is wise, because he loves
us, because He will not lead us into troubled waters, He always has our best
interest in mind, even in times when it is difficult to see.
Okay, onto chapter 5.
While chapter 5 talks about some risky business, I think it does so
pretty effectively, with a warning to adultery.
Even though she has sweet lips, and smooth speech, she is bitter as
gall, and sharp as a double edge sword (like I said this book has good
imagery). My study Bible says that a “gall”
is a bitter herb, however, when I read the word “gall”, I think of the bile
that your gall bladder produces. Also, I
once sat on a couch at a friend’s place such that I was sitting beneath a
mid-evil sword (single edge).
Needless-to-say, I was freaked out.
So, to create the analogy of kissing an adulterer to drinking bile and
playing with a double edge sword is
pretty effective to me – don’t do it! You’ll
get burned! Nothing good will happen! That’s what is great about Proverbs, this is
not a book that says – don’t do this, and do that, but rather, through vivid
speech, explains to us why all this stuff is good and bad.
Finally, I thought v21 was pretty good as well – “For a man’s
ways are in full view of the Lord, and he examines all his paths.” God knows us inside and out, he knows our
actions as well as our intentions.
This is a book I’ll read to the end (and would recommend to someone, if they ever asked).
Nicely done, Jon.
ReplyDeleteI think some of the most powerful advice that we receive is of the form: "Don't make the mistakes that I have." Given that the father giving advice in this case is Solomon, it doesn't surprise me that advice to avoid adultery and to remain faithful is the first practical advice given in Proverbs, as Solomon was not known for good judgement or restraint on this front.