Sorry for being tardy! I was trying to read my chapters last night and I fell asleep about 4 times, and finally decided to cut my losses and do it in the morning :)
1. In these chapters we basically get a story of Paul's trip in route to go to his trial. Which- his trial was based on the fact that the Jews thought he should die because he killed 5,000 people and defamed their character and was filth-mouthing their......oh wait. Nope, he was on trial because he had spoken of who Jesus was and proclaimed the gospel. Even the leaders didn't really want to try (sp??) him because they basically heard what he was accused of doing and proclaimed that there was no way on earth that deserved death. In ch 26, vs 5...Paul states in his explanation to King Agrippa:
"They (Jews) have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that according to the strictest sect of our religion, I lived as a Pharisee. And now it is because of my hope in what God has promised our fathers that I am on trial today."
After he explained all of this to Festus and Agrippa, Festus was not convinced and thought he was whacko and all of his learning had caused him to go off the deep end. However, you could tell King Agrippa was grasping for something as he thoughtfully asked Paul a question: "Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?" Paul replied with the best answer: "Short time or long -- I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am." So many good things about that answer:
A. Paul specifies "short time or long".... meaning that not everyone will be converted at the drop of a word or upon hearing the news. It is, indeed, like you always learn in Sunday school.... that for some, "you" just may be planting the seeds that will later grow. This is helpful in thinking about the people that I have been praying for for years that still have not come to know the Lord. It's not promised in the Bible that everyone we share with/pray for will see the light and be saved instantly.
B. Which leads me to point #2- in that it is not our decision/our doing. It is the holy spirit in preparing those hearts of the ones who don't know the Lord, and the holy spirit working in us to display God's forgiveness and redemption to that unbeliever. We see this when Paul points out first that he prays to God- meaning that he it is not a work of his hands, but a work of the Father's and the Father's only.
I think Paul's response is a good prayer for us to pray as we think about and keep praying for the unbelievers in our lives.
2. Biblically off-topic, but important to note, is that Shannon's place of residence has biblical roots! Who knew?!! And even received a shout-out here in Acts. When Paul and crew set out for Rome, and they encounter the storm that Paul had warned them about, in Ch 27 vs 14 "Before very long, a wind of hurricane force, called the "northeaster" swept down from the island." If I am ever visiting Shannon and it is windy, you best believing I will be thinking about Paul's ship voyage.
3. Speaking of ship voyage, every time I read this I am astonished at Paul's faith. Out at sea for days, a crew of 276, it states they can't even see land, and Paul just proclaims to them that they will all live and encourages them. They have enough food to eat AND more, and I just think it speaks so much to Paul's faith that he sees this vision from God and promptly proclaims it to the whole ship even though in the midst of the situation (that is COMPLETELY bleak) boldly pronounces they would all live. Again, we see just crazy faith and a surety that is unmatched. It's not even like Paul says "it's possible God could do this... or "Maybe we are going to be saved?" He just proclaims that without a doubt, they will make it.
Kari :)
No comments:
Post a Comment