Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 4: Matthew 10-12

Persecution and Misconceptions 

I think I've been spoiled for a long time as a Christian in America. When I read about the persecution Jesus warns his disciples about in Chapter 10, I realize I've never faced something like that. I don't think I've even ever been gently teased about my faith and beliefs. And yet maybe there is a different kind of persecution we face today in America as Christians.

The secular image of Christianity is not good. We see it portrayed on TV shows and movies in this distorted way: Christians announce their faith, then treat people terribly with judgement and spite. Maybe they claim to be a Christian, but then 'grow out of it' when they decide they want something. There is rarely any concept of a relationship with God, simply one of rule following and legalism. So how do I, as a Christian respond to that? How often do people see me that way?

Jesus says to "be wise as serpents and innocent as doves...[to] not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you say will be given to you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you" (10: 16; 19-20).

Sometimes I feel so lost in what to say or do to counteract this terribly distorted perception of what it means to be a Christian. But, wisdom and innocence in my daily life; I think that is something I can work on. To be wise in my dealings with people. To be innocent of wrong doing towards them. (Side note: did anyone else think it was interesting that serpents are used here in a positive way?)

And I take comfort in the confidence and assurance, that when I'm in challenging conversations, the Holy Spirit will guide my thoughts, and my words will be from him.

The idea of misconception ties into Chapter 11 as well. After affirming John the Baptist as the promised messenger, and basically calling him the greatest human there ever has been, he talks about John's reputation as a 'demon'. People supposed this to be true because of his alternative lifestyle. Jesus, also counter-cultural, is called a glutton and a drunkard, criticized as a friend of sinners. Opposite lifestyles and ways of following God, both misunderstood.

Jesus' series of tests from the Pharisees in chapter 12 (when he does things they don't approve of like healing on the Sabbath and driving out demons) demonstrates other ways his actions were misunderstood.

Not fitting with my theme, but little things I thought were interesting in Chapter 12:

Jesus explains he drives out demons by the Holy Spirit, then says, "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come" (12:32).  I wonder why he makes this distinction?

12:36: "I tell you on the day of judgement people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." Always a good reminder for me.

Can you imagine being Jesus' mom or brother when he dismisses them and says everyone is his brother and mother? I;m pretty sure I would have felt hurt by that. And yet how beautiful the picture of equality it creates for us. 




2 comments:

  1. Just a comment. It looks like the NIV has a slightly different translation than the version cited here. In the NIV, the text reads "be shrewd as snakes", rather than "wise as serpents". I think the word "shrewd" carries a more negative connotation than "wise".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you're right, there is definitely a negative connotation of shrewd (definition 2), but there is also a positive one(definition 1). Maybe it's the difference between abusing cleverness (like Satan does), and using it in positive ways as Jesus is instructing his disciples to do here.

    definitions of shrewd:
    1. Characterized by keen awareness, sharp or clever intelligence, and often a sense of the practical.
    2. Disposed to artful and cunning practices; tricky.

    ReplyDelete