Sunday, January 27, 2013

Matt 1-3

Thanks to Dave for doing the first posts so I wasn't so nervous. Now that we got that out of the way, I am set. I have my candle going (although not Duluth...this one is the apple orchard). And I just read Mat 1-3.  I was hoping to have some big revelations after reading, but alas, I didn't. I just picked up on a few things I hadn't before. 1) How long the world existed before Jesus came to earth as a man (I almost said before Jesus, but then I remembered he was there all along and at creation...which I have to constantly remind myself). At the end of Chapter 1 it says that there were 42 generations between Abraham and Jesus. I know time was different and God is outside of time, but people lived a long time back then. And to go through 42 generations is a lo-ong time. Some of the prophecies that happened in Isaiah in the old testament (2 are referenced in these first chapters- the virgin birth of Christ (1:23), and of John the baptist (3:3)), it would be generations before we see them fulfilled. That kind of faith and belief is crazy to think about over that span of time. In our day and age, if we don't see something fulfilled in a couple years, sometimes our faith waivers (heck for me a couple days). But to see that God had a plan that he was sure of and 40 some generations later that perfect plan was fulfilled, wow- I'd say we have a master planner.  2) Also, it hit me how much Joseph and Mary and Jesus had to move and basically run for their lives right after they just had a new baby!  God was CLEARLY looking out for them and leading them. First when they were in Bethlehem, the angel appeared and told them to escape to Egypt. Then the angel told them to go to Israel after Herod was killed, but then another angel appeared and Joesph was warned again and so went to Nazareth instead. That is also some pretty intense trust Joseph must have had, and also quite the wild ride. You always hear about the nice stable and the smiling animals looking on baby Jesus, but then really it was a crazy ride for that family after Jesus was born!  3) I would have wanted to be at Jesus' baptism. The baptism confused me a bit (vs. 15 "it is proper to do this to fulfill all righteousness") because Jesus was without sin, and so I think where I landed was this baptism was a public profession of his allegiance and love for his Father ?? (because he would have nothing to repent of...) But the picture that paints after in unreal. vs 16: "As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lightening on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."  If that's not a father/son moment that causes you to bring out the Kleenex, I don't know what is.  4) Sorry this was longer than intended. Good thing you all know writing short things was never my forte.

No comments:

Post a Comment